Saturday, August 26, 2017

Week 34 Review: How to Disappear

From Goodreads:
Vicky Decker has perfected the art of hiding in plain sight, quietly navigating the halls of her high school undetected except by her best (and only) friend, Jenna. But when Jenna moves away, Vicky's isolation becomes unbearable.

So she decides to invent a social life by Photoshopping herself into other people's pictures, posting them on Instagram under the screen name Vicurious. Instantly, she begins to get followers, so she adds herself to more photos from all over the world with all types of people. And as Vicurious's online followers multiply, Vicky realizes she can make a whole life for herself without ever leaving her bedroom. But the more followers she finds online, the clearer it becomes that there are a lot of people out there who feel like her— #alone and #ignored in real life.

To help them, and herself, Vicky must find the courage to face her fear of being "seen," because only then can she stop living vicariously and truly bring the magic of Vicurious to life.

In this beautiful and illuminating narrative, Sharon Huss Roat shines a light on our love of social media and how sometimes being the person you think you want to be isn't as great as being the person you truly are.

My Review:
I wasn't really expecting to read this book. I mean, I wanted to, but I didn't totally think that I would. But I'm glad that I read it, because it was just an amazing story, and I really enjoyed reading it! It's a great book!

I can understand Vicky being afraid of being noticed, basically. Though there were a good number of things to avoid, because of how they could draw attention, though I can't think of one off the top of my head.

I'm not one for pictures. So in a way, Vicky as Vicurious was brave, beyond what the account stood for. But it was also a way of hiding, but of Vicky behind Vicurious. Vicurious is bold and fantastic, and also reaches out a helping hand to those that feel #alone.

There were still problems with her personal life, and as Vicurious got bigger, more known, there were things like following other people. Her mom seemed to wanted her to be more normal, but they worked things out as things went on, which was great! And there was her relationship with her best friend, Jenna after Jenna leaves. That made for an amazing ending!

I can't say everything I want to say about this book, because I can't put it into words. This was a really fantastic book, and I really enjoyed it!

Author: Sharon Huss Roat
Read: August 23rd, 2017
Source: Edelweiss
Reason Why: Sounded really great, and it's a SAC 2017 Book, Sophomore Challenge Book and a WoW Book!
Publisher: HarperTeen
Published: August 15th 2017
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!