Saturday, May 7, 2016

Week 19 Review: The Truth

From Goodreads:
Lie, torture, kill—there's nothing Chris and Derek wouldn't do for their younger brothers…

When Chris wakes up tied to a chair in a dark basement, he knows that he's trapped—and why. He shot and killed Derek's little brother. He had his reasons, but no matter how far Derek goes to uncover the truth about that night, Chris's story won't change. It can't. There is far too much at stake…

Derek is desperate to prove his brother didn't deserve to die. And if kidnapping his brother's killer is the only way to the truth, than he'll go to extremes. But Chris's truth is far more dangerous than Derek could have imagined, and knowing could cost both their lives…

My Review:
Reading this book was really awesome! I knew that there was something going on with Chris, and why he wouldn't change he story, but not knowing what the actual story was, only that in not changing it, he was protecting his brother.

I really liked the back and forth between the now, with him tied up in the chair, and then, in the aftermath of a kid breaking into his house, and ending up dead. There's only 8 days between the two, but yeah, that just added to the tension!

I could understand both the boys motivations. They both wanted to protect their families, but in different ways, because Derek's brother is dead. Chris's brother isn't. And struggling to find a balance that works for both of them, was hard!

You could almost guess what Chris was hiding, but I don't think it would convey the true depth. Their dad was killed 3 years ago, he was a beat cop. And then there was the look in Devon's eye that by the end of the book, Chris had seen 4 times. Did Chris make the best decision in the end? I don't know. Only time can tell, and we won't get that time. We can only judge on what happened in this book, and yeah, I don't think he did!

Loved reading this book, it was so great, and I'd love to read more by Jeffry W. Johnston!

Author: Jeffry W. Johnston
Read: May  6th, 2016
Source: NetGalley
Reason Why: Sounded really good, and it's a SAC 2016 Book and a WoW Book!
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Published: February 2nd 2016
5/5 Hearts
4/5 Books
4/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!